Built in the late 18cth for the Carew family to a design by Waterford architect John Roberts who subsequently designed and built most of the 18th-century public buildings in Waterford, including both cathedrals.The earliest ordinance survey maps describe it as being a very neat two story house in the parish of Kill St Nicholas with offices and gardens in very good order,and the original layout of the garden is very well mapped,
Gaultiere Lodge was the summer residence of FrancisTheophilus Henry Hastings , Earl of Huntingdon 1808-1875 and his wife Elizabeth Anne Power daughter of Richard Power and Dorothea Sharpland Carew whose family owned most of the substantial properties in the area.
Lord Huntindon's principal residence was Whitechurch Hse outside Dungarvan but his son and heir Francis was born in Gaultier Lodge 4th Dec 1841.
The house was owned by the Carew family, and Sir Robert Sharpland Carew who sold it in 1920 to the widow Dame Richenda Juliet Paul and her daughter Lady Ellen Juliet Paul and son ,Sir William Jeffrey Paul for the sum of 1,000 pounds.
Lady Ellen Paul was killed in a riding accident in Canada on 5th October 1950. Her brother Sir Jeffrey died on 9th October 1961. Gaultier Lodge was inherited by his neice Lady Richenda Neave who sold the property to Garnish Estates Ltd for 6,000 pounds.
In 1978 Dr James Molloy and his wife Sheila bought Gaultier Lodge from Mrs Angela Matthews who was part of Garnish Estates.Dr James Molloy a keen country sportsman tragically lost his life while fly fishing on the River Suir on 17th March 2004
Gaultier Lodge has had a long association with hounds and hunting.
Joe Widger and Dayrell Galwey hunted a harrier pack in Co. Waterford prior to World War 1.This pack folded and Sir Robert Pau;l of Ballyglan older brother of Sir Jeffrey and Lady Ellen took on the pack in 1923 and renamed them the Gaultier Harriers.From then until 1956 hounds were kenneled at Gaultier Lodge providing many red letter days.The Gaultier Harriers started with 20 couple of hounds ,Jack Boland was kennel huntsman and Ed Geraghty was second whip.In 1930 Sir Robert Paul handed the horn to John de Bromhead a superb horseman with a good eye for a horse.His decendants and those of Joe Widger are still frequently seen excersising their National Hunt runners and Cheltenham winners on the beach.Alison Crosby re registered the pack to ensure thei recognition as a pack of foxhounds and hunted them from 1947-56 when the pack was once again disbanded and remorped into the Woodstown Harriers who still successfully hunt East Co. Waterford.
The tradition with hunting with Dr James Molloy as joint master of the Waterfords and his wife Sheila Hon.Sec. and later joint master of the Wexford s